When I first reported about local lawyer Kevin A. Luibrand’s involvement in the stranger-than-fiction claim of TU Senior Editor Bob Port that the Albany Police Department’s raid of his wife’s local jack shack was done in retaliation to the TU’s publication of negative stories about the Albany County Sheriff’s former drug unit, I had no idea that NXIVM’s former mouthpiece has a long history of being involved in Chinese-related matters. But, as it turns out, Mr. Luibrand was also involved back in 2006 in defending local microbiologist and Chinese national Jun Wang (HERE).
Just like the TU’s non-coverage of the prostitution arrest of Mia Liu, a woman who worked at the Green Garden Asian Spa, which is owned by Port’s wife Cheng Bin, Wang’s arrest and prosecution by the federal government received scant coverage from the TU. Makes you wonder if Port also has a hand in the sale of military secrets to foreign governments, doesn’t it?
By the way, a special shout out to my fellow blogger at the Citizen One blog http://www.newyorkcitizenone.com/index.php/home/7881-liar-liar-pants-on-fire which uncovered the fact that the Times Union apparently mis-stated the name of the woman who was arrested for prostitution (The TU referred to her as Mia Lin) and the name of Port’s wife (The TU referred to her as Bin Cheng). Seriously, guys, did you think that little ploy was going to get by everyone? Also according to Citizen One the now infamous Green Garden Asian Spa will try to reopen.HEREIn any event, now that TU Editor-in-Chief Rex Smith has made it clear that the TU’s new policy is to “Go with what you’ve got” (HERE), we should assume that there won’t be any more instances of “non-coverage” of important local stories by the TU. HERE
And while we’re on that topic, here are a few more stories that I look forward to reading in the TU someday soon: (My thanks to “Albany Lawyer” who posted a couple of these suggestions as comments on the SoaresSpot blog: http://soarestruthandtips.typepad.com/):
- How Albany County DA P. David Soares and his girlfriend, Stacey Quackenbush, managed to get around the Secret Service screening procedure and have their picture taken with President Obama.
See my prior post on this topic HERE.
- How much money Albany County has spent to hire Special Prosecutors because Soares has had to recuse himself from criminal cases involving his girlfriend’s siblings.
- How much money Soares’ office has spent on investigations and prosecutions regarding the Florida steroid case.
- Why Soares demoted Christopher Banes, the Assistant Albany County DA who oversaw the work of NXIVM-insider Kristin Keeffe when she was working at the DA’s office.
- Why Soares hasn’t endorsed Lee Kindlon’s suggestion that the Attorney General conduct a thorough examination of Keeffe’s work at the DA’s office. .
- Why Soares hasn’t done anything to shut-down NXIVM’s Ponzi scheme/ tax evasion scheme/indentured servitude scheme/money laundering scheme/illegal immigrants scheme/illegal restaurant operation/etc., which is based at 455 New Karner Road in Albany.
- And, most importantly, why Soares hasn’t undertaken an investigation concerning Bob Port’s ludicrous conspiracy charges concerning Albany Mayor Jennings, the Albany City Police Department and the Albany County Sheriff’s Office – or, alternatively, why Soares hasn’t moved to have Port committed to the Capital District Psychiatric Center for observation and evaluation.
In times past, I’ve focused most of my attention on issues and events that affected my hometown of Saratoga Springs. But now that I’ve opened a satellite office on Lark Street in Albany, I’ll be keeping an eye on what’s going on down there down there too.